Posts About...
WritingGODPhotographyEscapism Blog

Monday, June 20, 2011

Escape.

I'm rescuing this post from my old blog because I like it and it's going to help with The Escapism Project:
It had been so long since I read any stories which really sucked me in. I am so used to creating worlds of my own that I try to become a part of, that I’m impressed when someone else does it. When I read a book that contains more than empty romances and super characters. What I love most are books that leave enough space to allow their readers inside, so they can become a part of it in their imagination. A story so big that it welcomes us in. we become new protagonists and can help save the world.

http://weheartit.com/entry/9308466
Lately, there aren’t many stories that do this. I really think it should be a goal in writing a book. As important as grammar, plot, characters…it is all a dry effort if the readers can’t come in.

And by that, I mean more than just ‘come in’—the kind where you sort of get in but can only stand there, because there’s no room for you to walk about and help solve the mystery, have talks with the characters, and feel like you’re in danger. Sure there are a lot of stories around where you feel as if you were ‘standing there watching everything before your very eyes.’ But to me, that’s not as fun as being a part of the story. How many authors care to make room for their readers among the cast of their stories? How many realize that this does the story so much good?

We all know the close friendship that develops between a story and its author. It’s so amazing, an adventure that we wish could go on forever. How great would it be if we could offer the same escape to our readers—one of more depth than can be achieved by just reading?

What if, instead of just writing stories, we could create dedicate ourselves to writing entire worlds?

It would require more care in our craft. We would have to layer every book element so delicately. It would take so long before we would be satisfied with our worlds. This will not be easy—but it would be so worth it. Readers love stories like that most of all. I sure know it’s worth a try.

I want to try and create a world like that, using Living Breathing Words Escapism. By this I do not mean the blog, but the words I use to write my novels. Are your words dead, or are they Living and Breathing?

I’m not saying that my words are wonderful and I have some superhuman talent that works just like a portal and drops people off in different worlds. I am saying that I plan to work harder so that they eventually do. I dream of someday being able to ask my readers, “What were you doing during the story? Did you have a happy ending? Are you going to do it again?”

Not only will the readers have the satisfaction of having felt like this world was their home, but I as the writer will be proud to know that my story really got somewhere. It came alive, and there’s still people whose hearts reside within the pages of my book.

I really think we should all try it. Don’t we all want our stories to come alive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts