Posts About...
WritingGODPhotographyEscapism Blog

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My Memoir On Meeting The Band Perry On My Way Home From Peru

A photo of what happened after I got some courage
and went to say hi to them in the airport.
So. I knew the day I flew back home after so long would be amazing, but I didn't think it would be this amazing. I've already drafted a huge, long blog post about this but it's practically a short story so I'll try to tell about what happened on June 16 in a manner that's not boring and not rambling...otherwise it'll take up the entire blog.

At the Denver airport, I saw some people that looked vaguely familiar but I figured that I was so tired after the two long flights that I was seeing things. I hate the Denver airport. It's so huge and frustrating. There couldn't be people here, among all the strangers that were walking past, that I knew or had even heard about before in my life. Yet, I looked at these people again; I couldn't help it. Then it occurred to me where I must have seen them before--who it was that they reminded me of so strongly.

"No," I thought, turning away in disbelief. "I'm definitely hallucinating. It can't be them."

But my imagination always gets the best of me, so it wouldn't let me forget. Once we boarded the plane, I grabbed my backpack and--ignoring exclamations from my mother and brother asking what I was doing--I dug out my iPod. I only had one picture to judge off of at that very moment, and it was the album art in my iPod.

The EP I checked to make sure it was them.
(The one I looked at in the airplane was the EP that I am showing right here.)

And I studied it. And glanced up at the three people (but couldn't see them well because they were several rows ahead of us.) And showed the iPod to my mom and brother and told them my suspicions. It was my mom who told me that the people were pretty clearly The Band Perry.

"They look exactly alike!" she told me with total certainty. "They even have the same hairstyles!"

What followed was the most agonizing plane ride of my life. I tried to think about whether I ought to go speak to them or not. What if I really was hallucinating and they weren't The Band Perry? What if I went and asked and I totally made a fool out of myself and wasted their time?

Somehow I dozed off and when I started awake again, my mind was made up. I would ask. The worst that could happen was these people saying "No, we're not The Band Perry." It wouldn't hurt to ask. And if the need came, I'd add, "But you look so much like them! It's so cool!" So that it sounded like a compliment and not me mistaking them for someone famous and upsetting them. All that was left to do was calculate what I would do when the plane landed--I had to get off the plane as fast as possible to catch them before they left.

So I did. I raced off the plane, certain that I would be totally unlucky and they'd be gone by the time I got out of the tunnel thing.

But they were right there. Standing right in front of me. Then I struggled against that "Don't bother them. Just keep walking" feeling. But I ignored it.

From left to right:
My dad, Neil, my mom, Kimberly, me, my brother, Reid.
I walked up to them and said, "Hi."

"Hi!" Kimberly replied, and it encouraged me.

So I said, a little enthusiastically, "You look like The Band Perry!"

At this point I was so giddy that I believe what happened next is either a little more blurry than my tentative "Hi," or it could be the clearest memory I have from that encounter. Reid smiled and replied with something along the lines of, "That's because we are The Band Perry!"

Whether he said precisely those words or not, it's one of the best moments of my life--because it was the moment I realized something totally impossible was happening. To me. I was meeting someone amazingly awesome like them in an airport. I had been in a plane with them!

Then, what happened next was even more insane. My mom always manages to pull off the most amazing things. She talked to Kimberly and made it so that we got free concert tickets, and Meet-and-Greet passes. If I'd done this alone, all I would walk away with was a picture and an autograph; but my mom was there, so she made the amazing experience last even longer.

I'm not sure how she does these things, but I'm sure lucky to have her as my mom.

We met The Band Perry a second time at the Meet-and-Greet and saw the concert. I heard Luke Bryan and now have a new favorite artist--he was amazing as well. It was a great night and the best welcome home I could ask for. I remember that day and know that my life is good. It's amazing. The best things happen to me and my family, and this is one of those things that will stand out.

Even now, a few days later, I can't believe it happened. It must be some sort of dream. But just in case, I tagged their official fan page on the pictures I have up on Facebook. Maybe they'll see the pictures and remember us, because I'm certainly never going to forget that day!

2 comments:

  1. Very awesome. I have fallen in love with their song "If I Die Young." How exciting for you! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!!!! I would probably faint!!!! I love them sooooo much! I would LOVE to see them in concert someday!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts